"I am Sir Stephen Topham Hatt. . .also know as. . .the-fat-con-trol-ler. . ."
Sir Stephen Topham Hatt, better known as Stephen Hatt, is the director of the North Western Railway.
In 1984, Sir Stephen Topham Hatt became director of the North Western Railway.
The next day, Hatt discussed ,with various high-class associates of his, the appearance of a new threat: the assassin. Officer Justin Brown was assigned by him to work with Thomas to find this assassin.
The following day, Hatt and Brown had a meeting at Knapford, discussing the threat of the assassin to the engines. He and Brown went out drinking shortly after to revlieve some of the stress. He also ordered a new diesel to help out on his railway.
Later, Stephen was at a station with Mr. Percival when Bertram and Freddie raced by. He congratulated Derek and Sidney for their bravery during their chase with the assassin and the Professor the next day too.
Hatt was at Knapford during the station's rebuilding process. He talked to Andy, his new diesel, and asked how he was getting on with things, After some convincing, Stephen let Andy take a train to Wellsworth instead of Edward. He then discussed railway matters as well as Andy with Officer Brown. Later that day, Stephen arrived at Wellsworth and informed Andy that his controller no longer needed him, and that Andy was now a permanent member of the North Western Railway.
When Thomas was killed by Professor's Gang, the group the assassin is a part of, Stephen tried his hardest to hide his devestation, and vowed to avenge him. He had General Phoenix, Stan and Kate arrive to take out the assassin. Hatt accompanied them, along with Officer Abraham Cody and Officer Brown. With help of Stepney and Harold, the group managed to make it to the base of Professor's Gang. When the base was destroyed, Hatt and the rest of the group were saved by Lady . Hatt later stayed at the base while the others left, claiming Winston was nearby to take him home.
Stephen Hatt will also appear in The Road to Sodor.
Stephen Hatt was a thoughtful and stern, but caring controller, but he's slowly losing his mind and becoming a jerk. He wants only what is best for his money, which he considers his own family, and will do anything in his power to protect them. This lead to him even taking the time to personally track down a dangerous assassin. Hatt, running a railway, is usually under a lot of stress, and has been known to drink. It is unknown to the full extent the effect Thomas' death with have on him...
• Steam Search Part 1 (does not speak)
• Man in the Shadows • Maiden Voyage • Stress • Chase and Point Part 1 • Chase and Point Part 2 • Personal Game Part 1 • The Ones Who Know Part 1 • The Ones Who Know Part 2 • The Ones Who Know Part 3 • The Road to Sodor
- Although he appears in the second season, Stephen Hatt doesn't speak.
- Stephen wears a wig, as he is bold due to old age. This detail was made to explain the inconsistency of his hair changing in each episode.
- Stephen Hatt was portrayed with a wooden Sir Topham Hatt figure in Season 1, and a plastic one inside of Winston in Season 2. In Season 3, he is portrayed as a LEGO figure, just like all other humans from now forward.